Medical Social Workers
Medical Social Workers assist patient and families with health-related problems and concerns. They perform a comprehensive assessment of a patient’s social, emotional, environmental, financial, and support needs and discusses with the other members of the healthcare team about their assessment. Medical Social Workers also work with the patient’s family or support systems as well as other service provider agencies to develop a plan for the care of the patient in his or her home or other living arrangements.
After a patient is admitted to home health services, a Medical Social Worker might be referred to conduct an assessment to help determine patient needs and identify any limitations, barriers, or safety issues that might impede recovery, educate patients and families regarding community resources and support, and assist with long-range planning, including advance care planning and directives, and overall care opportunities.
Our Medical Social Workers work with the patients and families to keep patients at home in a safe and healthy environment. Medical Social Services include:
- Community resource planning and coordination (Passport, private duty, assisted livings, nursing home placement, medication assistance, etc.)
- Help determine appropriate health care and other health services
- Advance directives (Power of Attorney for Health Care or Living Will)
- Assistance in emotional adjustments to life changes
- Crisis intervention
- Assistance with applications for financial aid
- Counseling with lifestyle changes
- Teaching regarding coping with loss and change
- Grief counseling/coping with impending loss
- Assistance with transportation